Welcome

Friday, January 1, 2010

About What is the work situation in Anchorage

What is the work situation in Anchorage?
I am living in Washington state and am thinking of moving to Anchorage. I wuld like to work in some capacity in the tourism industry. Any suggestions or constructive input is appreciated. Thanks.
Other - United States - 2 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
As for Sept 15, "Alaska economy lost jobs for the fourth straight month". The Alaska unemployment rate is 8.3%, Anchorage's is 6.5%, while the US average is 9.7% but I think that tourism is taking probably the biggest hit so, if that's what you want to go there for, I would wait or look for something else until the economy starts to improve and people are traveling again.
Answer 2 :
Hi, I live on the Kenai Peninsula & Anchorage is the closest big city to me. The other poster was pretty correct about the unemployment rate-I read that almost verbatim in the paper the other day. Tourism has taken a hit here lately and Anchorage is kind of an expensive place to live. There are a few places on the Kenai Peninsula who hire summer staff so you could try it out temporarily-usually they have dormitories or cabins for the staff so you wouldn't have to pay for housing while you checked it out. I'd try Alyeska, Princess Lodges and Gwin's. Those are mostly lodge settings and contain restaurants. There are chain hotels and restaurants in Anchorage: Sheraton, Hilton, Chili's, TGI Fridays, Outback. I'm not sure about Anchorage, but here on the Kenai, our servers make $8 an hour plus tips but there isn't the volume of customers like down south. Good luck